NYC AAZK Meeting
- February 22, 2016, Bronx Zoo Curator's Room
President: Joe Nappi, Vice President: Erin Mowatt, Secretary: Avi Shuter, Treasurer: Amy Golden
Attended by: Erin Mowatt, Joe Nappi, Avi Shuter, Ken Huth, Lisa Walker, Taylor Ritz, Kevin Hils, Leela Tamero, Mike McCue, Erin Minnock, Gabrielle Rosato, Elizabeth Mills, Brent Atkinson, Joe Borsellino, Jen Loveless, Amy Golden, Vanessa Jones, Michelle Blatz, Alisha Mendez, Bonnie Glover, Rebecca Mitchell, Brianna Ogas, Heather Tassler, Linda Edge, Nyssa Turner, Tim Mohl, Bill Doyle, Amanda Hackett
Themes of 2016: Communication, Collaboration & Conservation
- We want to make for a chapter that internally communicates better, as well as better
communicates with non-members
- We want to make for a more socially cohesive chapter, as well as collaborate with different
departments around the Bronx Zoo
- We want to support more conservation projects through volunteer efforts and fundraising
Goals for 2016:
- Refocus our efforts on the Bronx Zoo
- Mini open forums with different departments? (social media, sustainability, fundraising)
- Social events with a cause:
. Ice Skating, March
. Cinco de Rhino, May
. Paint bar night, Fall
. Bronx river clean-up
. Summer Bat walk
- Social Games night, Summer
- Keeper presentation night in Fall
Ice Skating Fundraiser
- Murray Memorial Skating Rink in Yonkers
- $20, half goes to conservation, half to rink. We will pay as one big group to get a discounted price
- Ideas/vote for what conservation groups we want to support
- Date: Sunday March 20th, 5:20-7:30 PM
- Bowling for Rhinos. We need your help!
. Same location
. Looking for more parking options with local restaurant
. Bigger push for non-zoo staff bowlers so buy tickets early
. Almost sold out all 35 lanes last year with approx. 250 bowlers. Made over $6,000 in 2015!
. Looking at adding a second bar tender as well as smoother pizza distribution
. Most of the work is done. Need help getting raffle prizes, corporate donors
- template letter already made
- Need help at the door for the event
. WCS Indonesia works in rhino range areas
National Zoo Keeper Week: Cindy, Avi, Lisa & Heather
- Planning starts this month, so it’s not too late to get involved
- This will be a collaboration with ALL departments at the Bronx Zoo, so this is an excellent
opportunity to either network or get a better understanding of how events work at the zoo
- Let us know if there are any particular animals you would like to give a keeper chat for!
Travel Grant Committee
- changing the submission date to late summer to coincide with AEP grant and the fact that there are
more conferences in the fall
- There is a $1000 grant given out to advance the ideals of AAZK (professional development,
conservation work, research, etc.). There is an additional AAZK National Conference Grant to help
cover registration fees as well
- Anyone interested in being on committee?
World Animal Days:
- Discussed the prospect of starting a committee to oversee hosting world animal day events through the year
- Thank you for all that attended our open forum. It was a great success and a lot of great conversation were held.
We are looking into hosting similar forums at the other WCS parks.
- We appreciated everyone that attended this meeting! We had a record crowd.
- Our next meeting will be held at the end of March.
- Please let us know if you are interested in joining one of our committees (Bowling for Rhinos, National Zoo Keeper Week, Travel Grant)
We want to hear from you!!! Now is your chance to have your voice heard and shape the future momentum of this chapter!
Non-Members AAZK Survey
Members AAZK Survey::
April 20, 2015 NYC AAZK Meeting Minutes
In Attendance: Members: Tyrone Nickens, Elizabeth Mills, Brittany Murphy, Ashley Herbolich, Brent Atkinson, Avi Shuter, Sara Koplish, Joe Nappi, Michelle Medina, Lora Murphy, Melanie Weber, Cindy Maur; Supporters: Mo Ortiz, Samantha Gaeta, Vanessa Jones, Sosha Fusco, Diane Craft, Cristina Mendonca, Miranda Feldman, Anne Gilewski
Old Business: Nothing to Report
* New Amendment Proposed: Effective beginning in 2015, yearly chapter membership dues are $15 for National AAZK members and are $25 for Non-National AAZK members.
o Please note yearly dues are valid from January to December.
o Voting on this amendment will end May 20th at 5 PM.
* Bowling for Rhinos!
o It’s our 5th Annual BFR
o New venue: Woodside, Queens
o New prices:
* $25 for chapter members, $30 for non-members
* To buy a lane: $200 for a member, $220 for a non member
o New deal: 3 hours of unlimited bowling, shoe rentals, 1 drink and 2 pizzas per lane
o New fundraising goal: $10,000!
* To reach this goal we are asking all bowlers to “ask 5 friends for $5”
* Training Demonstration by Cristina Mendonca and Anne Gilewski (and Diego and Bruiser)
* Sea Lion End Tidal CO2 Presentation by Mo Ortiz (in collaboration with Marisa Ostek)
NYC AAZK Monthly Meeting Minutes – February 20, 2015
Sarah Parker – President, Bill Orrico – Secretary, Michelle Medina, Joe Nappi, Erin Mowatt, Elizabeth Mills, Florence Klecha, Kelvin Alvarez, Brent Atkinson, Andrew Kathriner, Lenny Billie
· Dues must be paid for the new year ASAP
· Barnanza raised $141 and dues were collected from 12 members
o Suggestion box a success. Most suggestions for BFR venue change, increase in workshops and panel discussions, monthly meetings shortened in duration, and holding fewer but larger fundraisers
· Recharter is due March 1 – Officers are working to complete it
· Bowling for Rhinos – August 17
o New location “34th Ave Lanes” in Woodside, Queens
o $25/$30 for 3 hours (includes 2 pizzas/lane and 1 drink ticket/person)
o Option to buy whole lane for $200/$220
· March Meeting – Need ideas for type of meeting or it will be another simple business meeting
o No ideas from meeting – Contact officers with suggestions
· April Meeting – Presentation Night at Aquarium
o Aquarium requests funding if food budget is over $100. Will be preparing itemized list and be put to a Chapter vote
· Run for the Wild – April 25 – Should we have a table?
o Consensus is that we should have a table at the event. Brent and Bill volunteered to work at table. Anyone else interested should contact officers
· Panel Discussion
o Survey results lacking – Many did not receive the survey – will send again
o If interested in joining committee for future discussions contact Cindy or Avi
· National Zoo Keeper Week – July
o Planning has already begun by committee – in contact with management
o Concerns voiced by members included increased work during week, lack of feeling appreciated by management, and ineffectiveness at reaching public
o Do we want to keep gifts from chapter to keepers? – Vote
· Bowling for Rhinos
o New location and prices should greatly increase interest and attendance
o Want more involvement from public – Posters/signs, contact NYC Cultural institutions, table at events?
o Increase fundraising by including individual Bowl-a-thon component
o Option of second BFR event in Bronx area to attract different subset of Keeper Staff?
§ BFR once a year but different event can be held north. Looking at locations for Croctoberfest in Bronx. Cinco de Rhino?
Attendance from the BZ:
Attendance from PPZ:
Attendance from QZ:
National Zookeeper Week
Attendance: PPZ- Ashley Herbolich and Debbie Dieneman from Education,
Brittany Murphy, Atu Marshall, Justine Wilber, Andrea Reimold (and her
boyfriend Andrew), Juan Alberto Choy Lui, and Morgan Parlo, and also
Takquan McGill and James Savastano from O/M, NYA- Kayla Bergman,
Shoely (I'm butchering this name...), David, and Julie, BX- Cindy
Maur, Sara Koplish, Kaitlyn Keys, and Heather Tassler. Also attending
and not claiming a specific facility were Matt and Shawn (?)
National Zookeeper Week
Attendance from the BZ:
Melanie Weber- QZ
Lora Murphy- AQ
Official officer announcement
Panel Discussion (more details to come)
Attendance from the BZ:
Melanie Weber- QZ
Lora Murphy- AQ
The NYC AAZK Chapter is hosting a panel discussion this coming summer at one of our monthly meetings. This event will be an open floor format, in which all questions, comments, and ideas are very much welcomed and encouraged to be expressed to a panel of representatives from each of the parks.
Please answer the following questions honestly, to help us determine if this would be of interest to you and the animal department and education staff.
- Would you attend such a panel discussion? Why or why not? If NOT, what could be a better way to voice your questions?
- What do you think would be the pros or cons of having this type of discussion?
- If you could ask 1 question, what would it be? Limit 2 to 3 questions.
NYC AAZK General Meeting Minutes – Sunday, October 20, 2013
Location: New York Aquarium: Sharks in the City!
Current Members: Robin Sutker, Tom Anderson, Allison Shaw, Joe Nappi, Rob Blakely, Mo Ortiz, Heather Tassler, Mary Gremler, Michelle Medina, Matthew LeBron, Sarina Cella, Tyrone Nickens, Cindy Maur
Future Members: Melissa G, Nicole Ethier, Yang Ting Lau, Leonard A Bille Jr, Adrienne Nussey, Tammy Lam, Kiana Gourdine, Michelle Wu, Mike Camardell, Barry C., Virginia Fioribello, Stephanie Mitchell, Deanna DeRosa, Mike Wrubel, Sylvia de la Piedra, Martha Hiatt, Andrea Reimold, Natasha Karl, Kyle McKenna, Ellen Spencer, Hans Walters,Jillian Dombo, Neil DeMaster, J Elizabeth Clark, Christine Telesco Cancela, Angel R Cancela, Brittany Murphy, Francis Verna, Atu Marshall, Kayla Bergman, Lauren Del Grosso, Erin Mowatt, Brandon Waldron, Angie Coccoma, Hallie Schultz, Cristina Mendonca, Faiynn Goldferb, Christina Williams, Azzara Oston, Tierney O’Neal, Shuli Rank, Kelsey Kovner
- Wednesday, Nov 20th-Enrichment Bonanza at the Bronx Zoo: Join us for holiday themed enrichment making including paper mache and other “presents” for our animals
- Elections- Please let a current officer know ASAP if you are interested in an officer position starting Jan 1st. We will give membership an opportunity to learn about all candidates and membership will vote for our incoming officers before the Dec 20th meeting
- Monday, Dec 9th- Holiday Party at Mc Faddens. Join us in celebrating a great year with drink specials and chances to win a free membership for next year.
Report of Finances for BFR- The totals are not yet fully in, but we do expect to make upwards of $4000 thanks to the efforts the Bowling for Rhinos committee with a special thanks to Lora Murphy, Liz Benham and Joe Nappi who were our top fundraisers. A special thanks to our WCS facilities who generously donated animal interactions for the BFR Committee to use as incentives for fundraising!
We are still selling BFR T-shirts!! T-shirts are still on sale! Email us if you want one! Chapter BFR t-shirts are $12 and National BFR t-shirts are $15
Committees- If you want to help make NYC AAZK’s events and meeting as fun as this NYA Event, please consider joining or helping a committee! Here are a few of the committees you can join:
-BFR -National Zoo Keeper Week
-Travel Grant Committee -Enrichment Committee
-Girl Scouts Committee -and much more!
Main Event- Sharks in the City!
We had a wonderful night of presentations covering topics from shark anatomy to novel shark/ ray training, to WCS involvement with shark in situ research. The presentations were followed by a behind the scenes tour of the NYA’s shark/ ray/ turtle holding pool. A special thanks to Andrea Reimold, Nicole Ethier, and Hans Walters for their great presentations and a special thanks to Lora Murphy and the NYA AAZK enthusiasts who planned such an impressive night!
June 20, 2013
AAZK Meeting w/ Guest Speaker Melissa Nelson on Public Speaking
Attended by: Robin Sutker, Cindy Maur, Sara Koplish, Melissa Ortiz, Lisa Walker, Elizabeth Mills, Kelly Carman, Ty Nickens, Jessica Chin, Randi Winter.
Presentation covered many aspects of public speaking including how to address different crowds for different kinds of talks, how to tackle difficult questions/subjects, how to exit gracefully and much more.
· GNC: discussed volunteer days last Wednesday and Friday and the possibility of continuing the partnership between GNC and NYCAAZK. We can continue to volunteer and promote them at our events and they can sell our chopsticks in their shop.
· Elections coming up in November, we can add positions if more people want to be involved by creating more specific titles.
o Need to remind members to register for online voting.
· Liaison Meetings: open to all departments from all of our zoos, want to increase our outreach.
· Presentation Night: this year’s theme will be Training and Enrichment sometime in Sept or Oct
· BFR: Lucky Strike $18/person for 16 lanes, possibly pushing date from August to September getting up to all 22 lanes (need to see how much the tickets would be to book all lanes).
o Allowed to sell merchandize, baked item raffle
o $3 beer/$6 pizza
o For big money raisers ($50/$100) we can offer a tee-shirt and 3x raffle entry
o Trying to push people to raise money above the ticket price
o Kathleen is checking with Breheny for animal encounter prize
o Need to solidify tee shirt design and quantity (100)
· Dues: possibly enabling PayPal for dues, will most likely cost us money though; there is currently no prorating on membership dues.
National Zookeeper Week July 21st –27th
Overlook Bar July 31st (RSVP) 44th & 2nd food and drink specials
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest