NYC AAZK Monthly Meeting Minutes – February 20, 2015
Sarah Parker – President, Bill Orrico – Secretary, Michelle Medina, Joe Nappi, Erin Mowatt, Elizabeth Mills, Florence Klecha, Kelvin Alvarez, Brent Atkinson, Andrew Kathriner, Lenny Billie
· Dues must be paid for the new year ASAP
· Barnanza raised $141 and dues were collected from 12 members
o Suggestion box a success. Most suggestions for BFR venue change, increase in workshops and panel discussions, monthly meetings shortened in duration, and holding fewer but larger fundraisers
· Recharter is due March 1 – Officers are working to complete it
· Bowling for Rhinos – August 17
o New location “34th Ave Lanes” in Woodside, Queens
o $25/$30 for 3 hours (includes 2 pizzas/lane and 1 drink ticket/person)
o Option to buy whole lane for $200/$220
· March Meeting – Need ideas for type of meeting or it will be another simple business meeting
o No ideas from meeting – Contact officers with suggestions
· April Meeting – Presentation Night at Aquarium
o Aquarium requests funding if food budget is over $100. Will be preparing itemized list and be put to a Chapter vote
· Run for the Wild – April 25 – Should we have a table?
o Consensus is that we should have a table at the event. Brent and Bill volunteered to work at table. Anyone else interested should contact officers
· Panel Discussion
o Survey results lacking – Many did not receive the survey – will send again
o If interested in joining committee for future discussions contact Cindy or Avi
· National Zoo Keeper Week – July
o Planning has already begun by committee – in contact with management
o Concerns voiced by members included increased work during week, lack of feeling appreciated by management, and ineffectiveness at reaching public
o Do we want to keep gifts from chapter to keepers? – Vote
· Bowling for Rhinos
o New location and prices should greatly increase interest and attendance
o Want more involvement from public – Posters/signs, contact NYC Cultural institutions, table at events?
o Increase fundraising by including individual Bowl-a-thon component
o Option of second BFR event in Bronx area to attract different subset of Keeper Staff?
§ BFR once a year but different event can be held north. Looking at locations for Croctoberfest in Bronx. Cinco de Rhino?
Attendance from the BZ:
Attendance from PPZ:
Attendance from QZ:
National Zookeeper Week
Attendance: PPZ- Ashley Herbolich and Debbie Dieneman from Education,
Brittany Murphy, Atu Marshall, Justine Wilber, Andrea Reimold (and her
boyfriend Andrew), Juan Alberto Choy Lui, and Morgan Parlo, and also
Takquan McGill and James Savastano from O/M, NYA- Kayla Bergman,
Shoely (I'm butchering this name...), David, and Julie, BX- Cindy
Maur, Sara Koplish, Kaitlyn Keys, and Heather Tassler. Also attending
and not claiming a specific facility were Matt and Shawn (?)
National Zookeeper Week
Attendance from the BZ:
Melanie Weber- QZ
Lora Murphy- AQ
Official officer announcement
Panel Discussion (more details to come)
Attendance from the BZ:
Melanie Weber- QZ
Lora Murphy- AQ
The NYC AAZK Chapter is hosting a panel discussion this coming summer at one of our monthly meetings. This event will be an open floor format, in which all questions, comments, and ideas are very much welcomed and encouraged to be expressed to a panel of representatives from each of the parks.
Please answer the following questions honestly, to help us determine if this would be of interest to you and the animal department and education staff.
- Would you attend such a panel discussion? Why or why not? If NOT, what could be a better way to voice your questions?
- What do you think would be the pros or cons of having this type of discussion?
- If you could ask 1 question, what would it be? Limit 2 to 3 questions.
NYC AAZK General Meeting Minutes – Sunday, October 20, 2013
Location: New York Aquarium: Sharks in the City!
Current Members: Robin Sutker, Tom Anderson, Allison Shaw, Joe Nappi, Rob Blakely, Mo Ortiz, Heather Tassler, Mary Gremler, Michelle Medina, Matthew LeBron, Sarina Cella, Tyrone Nickens, Cindy Maur
Future Members: Melissa G, Nicole Ethier, Yang Ting Lau, Leonard A Bille Jr, Adrienne Nussey, Tammy Lam, Kiana Gourdine, Michelle Wu, Mike Camardell, Barry C., Virginia Fioribello, Stephanie Mitchell, Deanna DeRosa, Mike Wrubel, Sylvia de la Piedra, Martha Hiatt, Andrea Reimold, Natasha Karl, Kyle McKenna, Ellen Spencer, Hans Walters,Jillian Dombo, Neil DeMaster, J Elizabeth Clark, Christine Telesco Cancela, Angel R Cancela, Brittany Murphy, Francis Verna, Atu Marshall, Kayla Bergman, Lauren Del Grosso, Erin Mowatt, Brandon Waldron, Angie Coccoma, Hallie Schultz, Cristina Mendonca, Faiynn Goldferb, Christina Williams, Azzara Oston, Tierney O’Neal, Shuli Rank, Kelsey Kovner
- Wednesday, Nov 20th-Enrichment Bonanza at the Bronx Zoo: Join us for holiday themed enrichment making including paper mache and other “presents” for our animals
- Elections- Please let a current officer know ASAP if you are interested in an officer position starting Jan 1st. We will give membership an opportunity to learn about all candidates and membership will vote for our incoming officers before the Dec 20th meeting
- Monday, Dec 9th- Holiday Party at Mc Faddens. Join us in celebrating a great year with drink specials and chances to win a free membership for next year.
Report of Finances for BFR- The totals are not yet fully in, but we do expect to make upwards of $4000 thanks to the efforts the Bowling for Rhinos committee with a special thanks to Lora Murphy, Liz Benham and Joe Nappi who were our top fundraisers. A special thanks to our WCS facilities who generously donated animal interactions for the BFR Committee to use as incentives for fundraising!
We are still selling BFR T-shirts!! T-shirts are still on sale! Email us if you want one! Chapter BFR t-shirts are $12 and National BFR t-shirts are $15
Committees- If you want to help make NYC AAZK’s events and meeting as fun as this NYA Event, please consider joining or helping a committee! Here are a few of the committees you can join:
-BFR -National Zoo Keeper Week
-Travel Grant Committee -Enrichment Committee
-Girl Scouts Committee -and much more!
Main Event- Sharks in the City!
We had a wonderful night of presentations covering topics from shark anatomy to novel shark/ ray training, to WCS involvement with shark in situ research. The presentations were followed by a behind the scenes tour of the NYA’s shark/ ray/ turtle holding pool. A special thanks to Andrea Reimold, Nicole Ethier, and Hans Walters for their great presentations and a special thanks to Lora Murphy and the NYA AAZK enthusiasts who planned such an impressive night!
June 20, 2013
AAZK Meeting w/ Guest Speaker Melissa Nelson on Public Speaking
Attended by: Robin Sutker, Cindy Maur, Sara Koplish, Melissa Ortiz, Lisa Walker, Elizabeth Mills, Kelly Carman, Ty Nickens, Jessica Chin, Randi Winter.
Presentation covered many aspects of public speaking including how to address different crowds for different kinds of talks, how to tackle difficult questions/subjects, how to exit gracefully and much more.
· GNC: discussed volunteer days last Wednesday and Friday and the possibility of continuing the partnership between GNC and NYCAAZK. We can continue to volunteer and promote them at our events and they can sell our chopsticks in their shop.
· Elections coming up in November, we can add positions if more people want to be involved by creating more specific titles.
o Need to remind members to register for online voting.
· Liaison Meetings: open to all departments from all of our zoos, want to increase our outreach.
· Presentation Night: this year’s theme will be Training and Enrichment sometime in Sept or Oct
· BFR: Lucky Strike $18/person for 16 lanes, possibly pushing date from August to September getting up to all 22 lanes (need to see how much the tickets would be to book all lanes).
o Allowed to sell merchandize, baked item raffle
o $3 beer/$6 pizza
o For big money raisers ($50/$100) we can offer a tee-shirt and 3x raffle entry
o Trying to push people to raise money above the ticket price
o Kathleen is checking with Breheny for animal encounter prize
o Need to solidify tee shirt design and quantity (100)
· Dues: possibly enabling PayPal for dues, will most likely cost us money though; there is currently no prorating on membership dues.
National Zookeeper Week July 21st –27th
Overlook Bar July 31st (RSVP) 44th & 2nd food and drink specials
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
May 20, 2013: Enrichment Bonanzas
Hosted by Bronx Zoo and Prospect Park Zoo
Attendance (Bronx): Members- Mary Gremler, Matt LeBron, Heather Tassler, Elizabeth Mills, Sara Koplish, Lisa Walker, Danielle Steele, Cindy Maur, Joe Nappi, Melanie Weber; Future Members- Sara Gonzalez, Vanessa Jones, Sylvia de la Pieda, Natasha Karl, Anna Burgos, Leah Simoncek, Dana Caton, Anthony Buffill.
PPZ: Member Tom Anderson; Future Members-Tom Anderson, Atu Marshal, Allison Shaw, Brittany Murphy, Lora Murphy, Allison Hague andAshley Herbolich
Central Park And Queens are rescheduling their bonanzas, dates TBD.
Group phone chat around 6pm with Bronx/PPZ/Robin/Mo
· Announced vote on co-secretaries (9-yes/2-no) Mo Ortiz and Lisa Walker
· Photo Contest- open to zoo staff and the public, need submissions of animal photos, cash prizes, due date June 15
· National Keeper Week activities- night event at Overlook bar, keeper profiles, silent auction, keeper grams, enrichment chats, ‘members night’ tables
o Need submissions for Keeper Profiles
· Voted yes to increase budget for keeper gift from $400 to $654 for one nicer item ($3/item) for everyone rather than a few smaller items for everyone. (14 -yes/ 0-no)
· Travel Grant for $250 for AAZK Conference applications due by July 1st
Bonanza festivities went well. We made smaller items for bird department and children zoo like treat rings, and origami treat holders. We had lots of scents and girl-scout made enrichment to give away. For the larger animals we made a fire hose braid, A-33 barrel enrichment, huge origami style stuffed ball for “Happy” the elephant and some large paper mache animals (ostrich and giraffe).
**Rescheduling Cook-off competition**
JUNE 2nd UPDATE: Photo Contest deadline extended to August 15th with new pricing of $5 for up to 5 photos, members can enter contest for free.
NYCAAZK General Meeting Minutes – Saturday April 20, 2013
Location: Bronx Zoo, Admin East, Curator’s Room
Sarah Parker, Sara Koplish, Joe Nappi, Sarina Cella, Elizabeth Mills, Heather Tassler, Mo Ortiz, Michelle Medina, Robin Sutker, Cindy Maur, Danielle Steele, Flo Klecha
Lora Murphy, Kaitlyn Keys
- Training successes and trials share timeIdeas for scale training
- Reviewed last meetings minutes
- Barnanza – Tuesday, April 30th 7:00 PM at Tavern on 3rd, bring friends
o For future events we are considering some sort of bring non-members get in free deal
- May Meeting/ Enrichment Bonanza – May 20th in Flaherty Learning Center
- National Zookeeper Week – July 21-27th, night event, keeper profiles, keeper grams, gifts
- BFR – Still approving venue, possibly Lucky Strikes
- Run for the Wild – April 27th
- Photo Contest live May 1st, please push interest on Facebook, etc.
o Finishing up rules
o Will discuss if it is worth it to produce a calendar, and if we do we will get it printed much earlier
- AAZK National Conference call for papers deadline – May 15th
Treasurer Report of finances
- Still have $5000.00
- We need to re-work our mission statement to reflect how NYCAZZK has evolved since its creation.
- Thank you Michelle for all of your technical support.
- How can we make meetings more attractive?
- Do we have to meet every month? Can we meet at each facility independently every month with a collective meeting only every few months?
- Went over scoring guide for the travel grant recipient.
o VOTE: Unanimously voted for approval by committee using scoring template beginning with October travel grant.
- Travel Grant recipient presentation from Melissa Ortiz, Queens Zoo Vet Tech
o Applying for the Travel Grant to attend the Thirty-Third annual conference of Association of Zoo Veterinary Technicians to be held Sept 5th to 9th in Seward Alaska by the Alaska Sealife Center
o She will be presenting this year on "Obtaining voluntary End Tidal Carbon Dioxide values in awake California sea lions"
o The purpose of this paper is to find out what CO2 levels sea lions live with comfortably while they are awake, compare it to their anesthetized values
§ In the future develop a case to see if this does in fact have to do with their dive reflex
o VOTE: Unanimously voted YES for Melissa to receive grant. Good luck!