NYC AAZK Meeting Minutes
Prospect Park Zoo - September 4, 2018
Prospect Park Zoo Keeper Presentation Night
- Thank you to the Prospect Park Keeper staff, especially
Sarah Parker who helped spearhead the event!
- Four presentations were given which included topics on
training zebu, calitrichid management, dingo introductions
techniques, and an outline of an insect diversity study at PPZ.
- We were also shown the PPZ big headed turtle propagation area
as well as how the insect studies are conducted.
- 20 keepers attended, included 5 from the Bronx (representing
the Mammal, Bird and Special Animal Exhibit departments),
3 keepers from Central Park Zoo, and 2 keepers and a vet
tech from Queens Zoo.
- This was the first AAZK event at PPZ. This was also the first year
that NYC AAZK has hosted events at all 5 WCS parks in one year
- We would love to continue to rotate events around between the
different parks to help WCS keepers network and share knowledge
with each other. Any ideas for future events would be greatly appreciated!
- Mo from Queens: Howling for Howlers karaoke fundraiser,
Archery for Andeans (Andean bear fundraiser)
- Mo is also trying to get Dr. Cohen, a vet who specializes in
compassion fatigue to speak at an AAZK meeting.
- Mo also found a roller rink on Long Island that is giving away
the chance to host a fundraiser there. We are looking into it
- Mo also has a contact that works with the Turtle Survival Alliance
that might come talk to our AAZK chapter about opportunities to
receive grants to do field work.
- John from Central Park would like to look into hosting a Pints for Penguins
event, and also explore if there is a central meeting area for events
that are convenient to the different WCS parks.
- As always, NYC AAZK wants to hear your ideas! Want to host an event,
organize a group clean up or fundraiser, let us know and we can help
you facilitate the event! We would love to have keepers from around the
different WCS parks participate and organize events around the city.
Upcoming AAZK Events:
Women's Leadership Meeting
- Tuesday September 18th, Bronx Zoo
- The WCS Women's Leadership Group wants to hear from WCS female keeper
staff about their thoughts & opinions on what its like to work for WCS, and to have
keeper voices included in the ongoing Women's Leadership discussions.
- The meeting will be held at the Bronx Zoo. If anyone from the other parks
would like to participate, let us know and we will figure out a way to get
you involved in the meeting.
3rd Annual Croctoberfest
- Date to be announced, Gun Hill Brewery
- Looking into getting beer glasses & possibly T-shirts this year
- Supports WCS Crocodilian conservation projects
Alamo Drafthouse Night
- November date to be announced
- We will be renting out a 25 seat theater at the Alamo in Yonkers and
watching a newly released film.
Dr. Conway lecture
- Date to be announced
- He will be discussing his long and influential history with WCS
December AAZK Election:
- Interested in getting more involved in shaping NYC AAZK?
We are always looking for eager, enthusiastic people to join the
exec team! If you have any questions about any of the positions, please let